BADLY need old threads brought over to new forum

This is an open discussion forum about metal detecting. Please be generally polite and respectful. Please note that Dankowski Detectors now has Terms of Use provisions. Nothing has really changed, its just now everything is written down for the sake of those who in the past liked to argue. If anybody sees anything unreasonable or disagreeable in the Terms of Use, please let me know.
NASA-Tom

BADLY need old threads brought over to new forum

Post by NASA-Tom »

I'm hoping Wally can find a way to bring the old threads over to this new forum........because I have LOTS of stuff I need to add. This goes for many of the (Huge) old threads.

Plus the fact that....... this new forum has no depth ...... without the 'meat' threads.

And......... nearly no one is looking at the old forum....... for time/access reasons.
vipergts323

Re: BADLY need old threads brought over to new forum

Post by vipergts323 »

At this point you should probably just start new threads and see if Wally can combine them at a later date. Just add links to the old threads that you might be referencing in the new posts so people know what you might be referring to in the new posts.
steveg

Post by steveg »

Perhaps Viper's thoughts are viable?

Steve
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

steveg wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:23 pm Perhaps Viper's thoughts are viable?

Steve
That's exactly what I tried to do with the Manticore thread (that was 90% of my viewing on the previous board!)

Also I think this one could do with some subfora/categories set up to try and compartmentalise the discussion into related groups, it will get unwieldy quite quickly if it remains 'flat' as it is now.
broadfield

Post by broadfield »

Geordie wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:20 pm Also I think this one could do with some subfora/categories set up to try and compartmentalise the discussion into related groups, it will get unwieldy quite quickly if it remains 'flat' as it is now.
I suggested this on another thread, it does feel like there isn’t much investment in the new forum from admin, whether that’s time constraints or lack of interest.
At this point I can see it failing, and that would be a great shame.
Geotech

Post by Geotech »

This should not be difficult. There is a script available for importing a Phorum database into phpBB. Create a new phpBB forum, convert the old Phorum database to phpBB, and then use SQL to merge this new forum with the existing phpBB forum.
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

Thanks Carl !!! I will certainly let Wally know!!!
wildwally1
Site Admin

Post by wildwally1 »

To all,

Right now, my daughter who lives in Europe is visiting. She comes here about once a year or every other year. I want to spend as much time with her as possible. The next time I have time off work and she will be gone is this upcoming Monday. I will try to get the old forum posts re-formatted to phpBB data base format and inserted into this forum. Thank you for your patience.
Gary in Daytona

Post by Gary in Daytona »

Wally, if we (or I) can help, let us know. My career was in IT and desktop support, so I might be able to help. I know there’s a lot of threads to be translated, so maybe a few others can offload some of it for you with minimal instructions. Just a thought.
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

Awesome! Without these old mega-threads........ this forum is hollow...... and has no Depth........breadth/width/girth.
We gotta get the 'passion' back to where it was... and then some!