Can I put Equinox 600 pod on Manticore or 700/900 shaft?

This is an open discussion forum about metal detecting. Please be generally polite and respectful. Please note that Dankowski Detectors now has Terms of Use provisions. Nothing has really changed, its just now everything is written down for the sake of those who in the past liked to argue. If anybody sees anything unreasonable or disagreeable in the Terms of Use, please let me know.
Bayard

Can I put Equinox 600 pod on Manticore or 700/900 shaft?

Post by Bayard »

I have owned an Equinox 600 since February 2018. The only thing I dislike about it is that the armrest is set too low for proper balance. As a result, I cannot use the 600 without an arm strap. The arm strap is a nuisance and slows down the transition between digging and detecting.

I recently acquired a Manticore and this ergonomic problem has been solved. The Manticore armrest is elevated just enough that no arm strap is needed. The convenience of using the Manticore compared to the 600 is outstanding.

Is there any way that I can retrofit my 600 to have the ergonomics of a Manticore? I could use a conduit bender and elevate the free end of the upper shaft to raise the armrest; however, I would prefer a more precise and elegant solution.

How tough would it be to put a 600 pod on the shaft from a Manticore or Equinox 700/900? Alternatively, how tough would it be to adapt the armrest from a Manticore or 700/900 and put it on the shaft of the 600? Unfortunately, the toothed rack for the armrest on the Manticore shaft doesn't look like an off the shelf item to me.

Do the Manticore and the 700/900 use the same shaft and armrest? If not, what parts are interchangeable?

If somebody with a 3D printer would make a 600/800 armrest that is about 3/4 inches taller, relative to the centerline of the shaft, I believe there is a market for it. Alternatively, some kind of riser or adapter to accomplish the same thing, while retaining the factory armrest, might be even better.
steveg

Re: Can I put Equinox 600 pod on Manticore or 700/900 shaft?

Post by steveg »

I have a carbon-fiber arm cuff available, that does sit higher than the 600/800 cuff. Not sure if it would sit high enough for your needs, or not, but it is definitely moving in that direction...

Here's a picture; you can see how it sits much higher, from the centerline of the shaft, relative to a stock 600/800 cuff.

Please note that this prototype cuff had a "matte" finish, while the production version is glossy; dimensions though are the same from the prototype to the production model.

Steve