MANTICORE NEW USER: BEACH SALT WATER BEST SETTINGS HELP

This is an open discussion forum about metal detecting. Please be generally polite and respectful. Please note that Dankowski Detectors now has Terms of Use provisions. Nothing has really changed, its just now everything is written down for the sake of those who in the past liked to argue. If anybody sees anything unreasonable or disagreeable in the Terms of Use, please let me know.
camoi

MANTICORE NEW USER: BEACH SALT WATER BEST SETTINGS HELP

Post by camoi »

Hello dear friends!

I'm quite a beginner when it comes to detectorism, I've only been practicing for 3 years. Approximately 10 months ago I purchased a manticore and recently the M8 coil and I didn't have good results compared to the M11 coil.

I would like a configuration suggestion to configure the detector. I hunt 90% of the time in water (salt water) in the surf area and in the bath (water up to my neck)

I generally use the same default configuration.

Another thing, I have a doubt regarding the balance of the ground for hunting in water. I perform the swing outside the water or inside the water.

Thank you in advance for any tips you can give me to improve.

Actual Setups: Mode Surf
Beaches: Northeast of Brazil

Coil: M8
Sens: 24-27
Rec: 4
Gnd: 0,1 or -1
Audio: Simple - 5tones (custom - 10(lc) - 20(seals) -30 (Mgold ex: 7g gold ring) - 40(Bgold ex: 20g gold ring) - 50(Silver))
Notch: 1 - 6 (When touching the coil to the water, it gives a direct signal in this range from 1 to 6)

Coil: M11
Sens: 20-23
Rec: 4
Gnd: 0,1 or -1
Audio: Simple - Audio: Simple - 5tones (custom - 10(lc) - 20(seals) -30 (Mgold ex: 7g gold ring) - 40(Bgold ex: 20g gold ring) - 50(Silver))
Notch: 1 - 8 (When touching the coil to the water, it gives a direct signal in this range from 1 to 8)

Thanks all for Tips and Tricks
NASA-Tom

Re: MANTICORE NEW USER: BEACH SALT WATER BEST SETTINGS HELP

Post by NASA-Tom »

Gosh....... I am REALLY wanting Wally to 'bring over' the large Manticore thread........from the old forum.
All the specific/finite details are in that thread. I do NOT want to "start life ALL OVER again". Do not want to start from "ZERO".
camoi

Post by camoi »

sorry NASA-TOM,
I didn't find anything specific in the water, not just the coil, but the entire detector.
I generally hunt in the water directly and would like suggestions. But if it's difficult to give any tips, feel free to delete this post or close it.
the general post talks about many things in a broad way, it is not focused on the beach and mainly in the water,
I didn't find any videos on YouTube, there isn't much in the manual on how to prepare the detector for underwater.
But I understand your concern and thank you for your willingness!
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

Hi camoi,

It's NOT your fault.

But....... let me start all over again.
Let me take the time and duplicate all of the: already written/already documented data.

First: In nearly all cases....... here are the following settings/configurations that are best for Manticore with M8 in a wet-salt environment:

Beach - Low Conductors
Recovery Speed: 4
Audio Theme: Prospecting
Ferrous Limits - Upper: 4
Ferrous Limits - Lower: 0
Sens: Between 26 - 30 (Depending on what you can handle.....and depending if you are IN the water).
Volume: 25
Ferrous Volume: 25
Nothing Notched
Ground Balance the unit very close to the waters edge. (Maybe 1cm of water under coil).
Make Ground Balance a Hot Key (Either lower Left.....or lower Right: soft key).
No Custom Program (as Manticore will remember all settings that you config....specifically for Beach - Low Conductors).

This should get you started. You will quickly learn that.... Manticore will TEACH YOU proper coil control......and audio nuances.
If you are IN the water...... you will probably be using a Sens of (around) 27.
You will need a special scoop and/or configuration..... so as to capture very small targets.
If steel bottlecaps become a problem....... you can raise Ferrous Limits - Lower: to 4.
Trying to Ground Balance the detector whilst IN the water....is difficult for Manticore (or ANY detector). For instance....... If you are in 1-Meter of water...... and you commence a Ground Balance with coil bobbing method..... the coil moving up-and-down IN the water........ the coil/detector sees minimal delta/difference (if any)....... and may not electronically "catch" the difference....that would allow the unit to grab a proper Ground Balance. If you are out of the water....... and you are bobbing the coil up-and-down (TO the wet salt.....and AWAY from the wet salt)...... there is a HUGE difference in this: "wet salt.....NO wet salt" difference........ and the detector can easily see a large difference.,.,.,., and can grab a proper Ground Balance.

I'm out of time!!!

All of the (above) data is for IN the water...... AND the wet slope.
camoi

Post by camoi »

Thank you NASA-TOM.
My final question is in water (50cm to 1.5 meters).
I also use the mode: Beach - Low Conductors?
I hunt 90% of the time in water, always with water up to my waist (50 centimeters) or up to my neck (1.5 meters).
I read all 34 pages of the old post and didn't find clear information about this.
I've already had great results after almost 1 year of using manticore (23 pieces of 18k gold totaling 132g) my record one big ring with 20.6g.
In 3 years of detectorism I still haven't had the luck to get a gold chain
Now the period of the year that lands here in the southern hemisphere has arrived, so things get deeper and I'm looking for ways to get it ("stone milk") as we say here in Brazil to inform you that it's difficult
However, it was already 2x the warranty, this disappointed me a little because I previously had the XPDeus2 and also used it for almost 1 year without any problems.
I replaced the XPDeus 2 with the manticore due to warranty and support issues here in Brazil.
MINELAB has excellence here in after-sales. incredible support from the entire team.
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

camoi...... sounds like you are doing exceptionally well in finding gold.

I may have placed all the Manticore saltwater hunting data....in a different thread. . . . . due to someone's prompt.
In any regard.......... hopefully this helps!
camoi

Post by camoi »

Thank you for everything NASA-TOM.
I will carry out these tests next weekend
You certainly helped a lot and I will have a starting point for further experiences.
A big hug and success to everyone!
Let Gold come!
ianp

Post by ianp »

NASA-Tom wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:03 am Hi camoi,

It's NOT your fault.

But....... let me start all over again.
Let me take the time and duplicate all of the: already written/already documented data.

First: In nearly all cases....... here are the following settings/configurations that are best for Manticore with M8 in a wet-salt environment:

Beach - Low Conductors
Recovery Speed: 4
Audio Theme: Prospecting
Ferrous Limits - Upper: 4
Ferrous Limits - Lower: 0
Sens: Between 26 - 30 (Depending on what you can handle.....and depending if you are IN the water).
Volume: 25
Ferrous Volume: 25
Nothing Notched

Hi, would these settings be the best for detecting on land too but with ATLC instead of Beach LC
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

Hi Ian,

No. In fact...... different environments dictate what settings are best for inland/turf hunting. There is a huge thread dedicated to exactly this......and with very specific setup configuration settings..... (especially for inland/turf hunting).,.,., on the old forum.
I'm hoping folks still have access to the old forum.
camoi

Post by camoi »

First 18k gold using the NASA-Tom program.
Small ring 18k gold with 1.77g
It was about 5cm deep, it came out in the first dig of the sandscoop.
But I found other smaller items copper jewelry at a significant depth of more than 25cm deep. using M8 coil.
Thanks @NASA-Tom
Ring 18k 1.7g
Ring 18k 1.7g
20240330_174727.jpg (229.56 KiB) Viewed 460 times