"UNDER THE IRON CARPET"

This is an open discussion forum about metal detecting. Please be generally polite and respectful. Please note that Dankowski Detectors now has Terms of Use provisions. Nothing has really changed, its just now everything is written down for the sake of those who in the past liked to argue. If anybody sees anything unreasonable or disagreeable in the Terms of Use, please let me know.
NASA-Tom

Re: "UNDER THE IRON CARPET"

Post by NASA-Tom »

I have been swinging a coil for over 50 years.
The 1st 40 years...... I would RUN AWAY from iron-infested sites.
For the past 10+ years...... I run TO these iron-infested sites............,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,................knowing this is where the bulk of the World's losses reside.
So far:
Manticore
Nokta Impact
Deus-2

..... seem to be the best unmaskers............that I have tested/employed/used.
blackflag

Post by blackflag »

Tom your list made me smile. It also made me realize I left out a several important detectors off of my list that I’ve had in my test site. Manticore, equinox and deus. I’m planning on getting a deus 2 very soon. Not sure how it stacks up with the original deus. The original deus has been very good in iron for my use.
PulltabKing

Post by PulltabKing »

I'm with you too Tom. I love iron, especially after I got some time under my belt with my Equinox 800.

I have a site where a train depot once sat, built around 1882, burned around in the early 1900's and rebuild one block next door.
The original site is absolutely loaded with square nails and "some" modern trash. But every time I hunt it, I always find a coin or two. I've taken dozens of detectors with various coils over the last 10 years. I love the challenge!

I bought an Equinox 800 around 2019 and read and re-read your Equinox thread, (basically memorized it) and took it out there. I came back with several coins that day. My buddies brought 800's that day and they found coins too. Even an aluminum token in that mess.

Now, I'm dying to take a Manticore out there. That's my next big purchase sometime this year.
JCR

Post by JCR »

Just like Blackflag said.
Chris
PulltabKing

Post by PulltabKing »

Yep... I love sites like that, but my hunting buddies can only take so much. 🤣
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

Aquiring skillset........ and (sometimes: forcefully) enduring perseverance..... is what carpets-of-nails is all about!

There are more detectors that I could add to the list..... that are good in iron.
Dave_E

Post by Dave_E »

NASA-Tom wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:23 pm I have been swinging a coil for over 50 years.
The 1st 40 years...... I would RUN AWAY from iron-infested sites.
For the past 10+ years...... I run TO these iron-infested sites............,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,................knowing this is where the bulk of the World's losses reside.
So far:
Manticore
Nokta Impact
Deus-2

..... seem to be the best unmaskers............that I have tested/employed/used.
I'm glad to see you mention the Impact Tom.

I also think the Nokta Impact is still one of the upper tier unmaskers when paired with the right coil. The way you and Keith Southern initially explained your interpretation of its audio when it was released just clicked with me. It's still a favorite of mine too.
EL NINO

Post by EL NINO »

Vista Gold Gain 30khz -in "IRON CARPET" TEST...

https://youtu.be/p5DBdvt7QA4
EL NINO

Post by EL NINO »

DEUS1- program Fast -54khz in "IRON CARPET TEST"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwo2DPkYXkk
EL NINO

Post by EL NINO »

VERSA -program Park 1F-40 khz in "IRON CARPET" TEST.
https://youtu.be/yZ8SUMwCpaY