Tom D... Any new thoughts?

This is an open discussion forum about metal detecting. Please be generally polite and respectful. Please note that Dankowski Detectors now has Terms of Use provisions. Nothing has really changed, its just now everything is written down for the sake of those who in the past liked to argue. If anybody sees anything unreasonable or disagreeable in the Terms of Use, please let me know.
NASA-Tom

Re: Tom D... Any new thoughts?

Post by NASA-Tom »

WELL DONE!!!
Very nice!
It is hard to tell the size..... in this picture. Place small items on top of a brown penny (not a new/bright penny)...... for size-reference.

M8 comes through once again!
stateguy

Post by stateguy »

I don’t know how you guys can get your sensitivity above 20.
I am only able to go to 19 with Tom’s settings and 8 in coil
I feel like I am doing something wrong
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

Are you Ground Balancing near the waters edge?
Response Speed on 4 ?
au pirata

Post by au pirata »

Hi Tom,I checked my ground balance numbers in beach deep & LC,when I enter thecwater they are 48,an when I do the next G.B in 1m water,they rise to 52 an stay around that number for the next 4 hours .
I believe the G.B is trying to mitigate the extreem salt aswell as the ground..
It's a shame minelab do not have water testers for there machines on the Mediterranean, because in summer thus is a extreem salt environments..
I will wait for the M8 coil to be available an see how it improves detection of sub gram gold ..but I'm beginning to think in my environment, its equal to the equinox..
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

The M8 will be a stunning improvement....in the way that it mitigates salt feedback. A real eye-opener. Even in the Med!
And....... with your hot/high-temp waters in the Med....... it will hold a lot of salt in solution!
stateguy

Post by stateguy »

NASA-Tom wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 2:04 am Are you Ground Balancing near the waters edge?
Response Speed on 4 ?
Yes I am Tom, sometimes bring recovery to 5
8 in coil if I didn’t mention it
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

Something seems terribly wrong. You should EASILY be able to hit Sens 25 with the M8 coil......in a wet-salt environment. Even in the water. . . . . to include the Med.
How high can you run Sens with the standard/stock 11" M11 coil?
camoi

Post by camoi »

Hello Okara What setup did you use? Here there are beaches that vary greatly in salinity and this art of shells and coral remains In these dirtier areas the automatic LB has been more interesting for me.
I spend 95% of the time in water up to my neck in surf
Attachments
IMG-20240915-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20240915-WA0006.jpg (61.15 KiB) Viewed 159 times
okara gold

Post by okara gold »

camoi wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:12 am Hello Okara What setup did you use? Here there are beaches that vary greatly in salinity and this art of shells and coral remains In these dirtier areas the automatic LB has been more interesting for me.
I spend 95% of the time in water up to my neck in surf
I have been using Tom's settings since I received the Manticore over 1 year ago. I use surf and seawater setting in the saltwater with the auto GB tracking on as it is the default. At times I have to "help" the Gb as the bottom can change quickly at one of my beaches. I accomplish this by gently bobbing the coil about 2 inches off the bottom and listening to the response. When it quiets down, in less than 10 seconds it is ready to hunt again. I went water hunting today using the 9 inch and was running sensitivity at 21 to 22. where the bottom was rocky and loaded with shells there was quite a bit of falsing at 22. Therefore, I would drop down to 21. This might be too much for people who prefer silence when searching but I like it on the chatty side. If I came across areas of smooth sand the machine would quiet right down and a 23 sensitivity was quite easy to work with. The water is around 88 degrees Fahrenheit, so I'm sure it is holding a lot of salt.
Tomorrow I will switch to the 8 inch and try another area if the waves allow it.