Tom D... Any new thoughts?

This is an open discussion forum about metal detecting. Please be generally polite and respectful. Please note that Dankowski Detectors now has Terms of Use provisions. Nothing has really changed, its just now everything is written down for the sake of those who in the past liked to argue. If anybody sees anything unreasonable or disagreeable in the Terms of Use, please let me know.
okara gold

Tom D... Any new thoughts?

Post by okara gold »

Hi Tom... I have been using your exact recommended Beach settings for the Manticore in and out of the saltwater for over a year now, with good, pleasing results. Just wondering if you have any recommendations or changes to these settings? I have also used to a lesser degree the Beach General in the water if conditions are just right. Thanks Bob
Airtemisa

Re: Tom D... Any new thoughts?

Post by Airtemisa »

Me too. I've been using your settings LC + Prospecting at wet sand and diving. Incredible outcomes.

Waiting for those comments Okara asks you :)

Thanks!
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

I'm still using the exact same settings.......except for one delta:

IF IF IF the wet sand is extremely flat (and electronically stable)....... I have been running Sens on 31 (and sometimes 32)....... BUT with coil moving at 1/2-speed.
What are the resultants? Why? What does this do? =
Stupendous performance on gold stud earrings and gold chains.

Let me start another post on this thread =
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

Something that I am currently experimenting with; yet, incomplete/inconclusive data (thus far) =

I am trying: GROUND BALANCE OFFSET ...... by just (up to) a few points.
Why =
1. To see if there is a more accurate ID of very low conductors near the salt ID range.
2. To see if there is a DIFFERENCE in weak target signals: enhancement or detriment.
3. To measure the hypersensitivity of wet-salt imbalance.
4. Any other (possibly unsuspecting) attributes/detriments.

A premise of mine: Of the entire spectrum of non-ferrous targets --- (Manticore ranges from 00-99)......... the targets that I am MOST interested in.... especially in a beach environ..... is targets that ID: 01
okara gold

Post by okara gold »

Thanks for the information Tom. I'm in the water unless it is too rough or there are some nice cuts. Always thinking... Chains, but they are elusive. We all know there are loads of them out there but securing them is another challenge. I'll give it a try as to a higher sensitivity on the wet sand but the majority of beaches I'm hunting on the gulf side of Florida are darker, shelly and moderately sloped.
Apparently, Tom, you are still ground balancing near the water's edge as you suggested quite some time ago and using a fixed GB. I tend to use GB tracking on the wet sand in Beach LC. It seems the ground conditions change rapidly at times, therefore using tracking. Perhaps I should use fixed?
I am also using the M9 more often than the M8 but if the 8 is your go to for these results, then I'll give it a try.
Thanks again!
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

I have NEVER gone back to the 11" coil (or any other coil) for the beach........ once I installed the M8 coil. It makes THAT much of a difference.... in a wet-salt environ.
Bklein

Post by Bklein »

I have yet to try the beach, but….
Gold Chain: Beach General Multi IQ vs Gold/Prospecting 40KHz
https://youtu.be/f8Jz-xsREus
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

Barry....... that's exactly correct! BUT........ if you plan on ONLY hunting the dry sand at the beach; YES....... by all means...... utilize the Goldfield Mode (in concert with Prospecting Audio)....... to find the extremely low-conductive gold. It is a LOT of work....... but worth it. Blanket/towel-line & Volleyball courts will (statistically) produce the best/most.

But....... IF you plan on hunting the salt-wet slope....... you MUST be in a Salt Mode........ like Beach: Low Conductor.
((( This is to say = A single-frequency Mode will work VERY poorly (including: complete failure)....... in a wet-salt environment ))).
Bklein

Post by Bklein »

I’m confused though. Some people use All Terrain mode at the beach. It can be set to 40 KHz. Is it like traditionally bad in saltwater or has Minelab improved its performance such that it may be usable?
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

Are you saying: Any of the All Terrain Modes.....then switching over to 40-Khz single frequency?....in the wet-salt?