Manticore AT-G vs AT-LC vs AT-HC

This is an open discussion forum about metal detecting. Please be generally polite and respectful. Please note that Dankowski Detectors now has Terms of Use provisions. Nothing has really changed, its just now everything is written down for the sake of those who in the past liked to argue. If anybody sees anything unreasonable or disagreeable in the Terms of Use, please let me know.
RSmith

Manticore AT-G vs AT-LC vs AT-HC

Post by RSmith »

What are the differences in the way/amount the frequencies are weighted with all terrain general, all terrain high conductor, and all terrain low conductor?
Example- Is AT-G more weighted in the higher frequencies than AT-LC, while also being more weighted in the lower frequencies than AT-HC?

If we can know exactly how these three compare we can better understand/know which one to use for different circumstances.
AT-LC vs AT-HC is easy to figure out, but exactly where does AT-G fit into the comparison?
steveg

Re: Manticore AT-G vs AT-LC vs AT-HC

Post by steveg »

RSmith --

My understanding is, that it is as you say. AT-G is "in between" AT-HC and AT-LC, in terms of the frequency weighting. I personally find AT-G to be preferred, especially if you hunt sites with iron trash. AT-HC (IMO) is far too "sparky," and likes to "high-tone false" to an excessive degree, in my opinion, off the tips of nails and such...

Steve
JCR

Post by JCR »

AT General includes Conductive Subtraction also.
Chris
RSmith

Post by RSmith »

JCR

Sorry for my ignorance, but can you elaborate on your comment?
What is the conductive subtraction you are referring to, how does it help?
Thank you
Randy
JCR

Post by JCR »

Conductive Subtraction is a SMF signal processing that removes or minimizes the response from conductive ground caused by a combination of moisture, salts and/or minerals. General AT is the only inland program that uses it. It is also used on Beach & Diving programs. I don't have the D2, but I have used M3 on the Legend & Multi W on the Rutus Versa to good effect on a few inland sites that some times has these ground conditions. You can lose a bit of sensitivity to small low conductors, which is a double edge sword. Small gold -v- small Al & foil.
Chris
RSmith

Post by RSmith »

JCR
Trying to do more research on this, the only places I can find it mentioned is referring to D2. I cannot find any mention of this for the Manticore.
I may not be looking in the right places, or fully understanding what I’m reading.
Can you verify?
JCR

Post by JCR »

RSmith, Now that I look for it, I can not find anything to that effect in the User Manual either. I may be remembering something that was posted on the old version of this Forum. I may also be just remembering about the D2 and conflated the Manticore into it. Hopefully NASA Tom will chime in and straighten me out. I would like to know for sure.
Chris