M9 coil?

This is an open discussion forum about metal detecting. Please be generally polite and respectful. Please note that Dankowski Detectors now has Terms of Use provisions. Nothing has really changed, its just now everything is written down for the sake of those who in the past liked to argue. If anybody sees anything unreasonable or disagreeable in the Terms of Use, please let me know.
Daryl wi

M9 coil?

Post by Daryl wi »

There is some chatter on the other forums about the Manticore M9 coil in production? Tom?
camoi

Re: M9 coil?

Post by camoi »

I thought that my suspicions regarding the m8 coil in the water in relation to the m11 are being answered with this new coil
Attachments
8fde4e93569f030b483a0e2fe5b00fec-fj.jpg
8fde4e93569f030b483a0e2fe5b00fec-fj.jpg (14.18 KiB) Viewed 3986 times
M9-coil01-1024x1024.jpg
M9-coil01-1024x1024.jpg (124.14 KiB) Viewed 3986 times
Daryl wi

Post by Daryl wi »

https://www.detectorprospector.com/topi ... /#comments

2 min vid from the designer. Its coming.
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

I can talk about the M9 coil now.

It is the LIGHTEST coil...... of all the Manticore coils.
Everything else about the coil...... is 'on par' for expectations. , . , . , . , . , except one arena that may be 'not-so-obvious'. =
Example = The M9 coil generates less depth on the beach (wet-salt environment).....as compared to M11 coil. BUT....... this is IF you were to keep all your settings the same. Because the M9 coil is smaller than the M11 coil....... it sees LESS salt feedback; which...... in turn........ allows you to boost the Sensitivity higher............. causing/allowing the depth that was lost via smaller coil....to be nearly/fully regained to nearly the full depth of the 11" coil.
Caveat = The M9 coil is (as to be expected) a bit more sensitive to smaller targets TO INCLUDE "lower conductor" targets (((like gold)))...... a HIGHLY wanted feature.
If you can (and are use to running) Sensitivity at (say) 24 with the 11" coil. , . , . , . , . , . , . you will now be able to run Sensitivity on 26 with the M9 coil. (((Which ALSO boosts performance on small and/or low-conductors))).

With M9 coil installed............. whilst swinging............... it almost feels like you forgot to put a coil on the end of the stick. It's exceptionally light. Yes...... better hydrodynamics.

I still prefer the M8 coil on the beach; yet, the M9 coil is absolutely 'in-between' M8 & M11.
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

DON'T FORGET to re-Ground Balance the M9 coil !!!....... as it Grnd Balances at a different set of numbers. , . , . as compared to other (different size) coils.
Daryl wi

Post by Daryl wi »

I found a dealer that had a few in stock. One is on the way!
Airtemisa

Post by Airtemisa »

Tom, which one would you choose for diving in salt water? M8 or M9? Why?

With numbers, M8 should see less area/volume, so it should run higher sensibility and deeper search... Or not? :twisted:

Thanks!
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

I would recommend the M8 coil. It sees less salt (subsequently: less salt feedback/chatter)........allowing for higher Sens settings. The M8 coil is more sensitive to earrings, chains, pendants, charms, anklets, necklaces, bracelets ... etc......

BUT....... you may NOT want the small stuff that well. In that case...... the M9 coil will be better. Its hydrodynamics are about the same as the M8.
okara gold

Post by okara gold »

Decisions, decisions... I've been using the M8 exclusively and am quite pleased with it. It is the smallest coil I have used in decades and takes some mind over matter when approaching the beach and looking at the immense sand spread out before me. I'm tempted to get the M9 for the extra coverage but will wait and see some other opinions on its performance. I am certainly keen on finding the small gold jewelry that others are missing and the M8 is doing its job.
Airtemisa

Post by Airtemisa »

NASA-Tom wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:26 pm I would recommend the M8 coil. It sees less salt (subsequently: less salt feedback/chatter)........allowing for higher Sens settings. The M8 coil is more sensitive to earrings, chains, pendants, charms, anklets, necklaces, bracelets ... etc......

BUT....... you may NOT want the small stuff that well. In that case...... the M9 coil will be better. Its hydrodynamics are about the same as the M8.
Thanks Tom. I already own M8, so the decision of buying M9 is hard to argue... IMO