Little Solar Eclipse action at my home location

This is an open discussion forum about metal detecting. Please be generally polite and respectful. Please note that Dankowski Detectors now has Terms of Use provisions. Nothing has really changed, its just now everything is written down for the sake of those who in the past liked to argue. If anybody sees anything unreasonable or disagreeable in the Terms of Use, please let me know.
PulltabKing

Re: Little Solar Eclipse action at my home location

Post by PulltabKing »

I was fortunate enough to have a break in the clouds in North Texas. I was able to snap a few shots with my Sony DSLR at 300mm.
I have to say, today was one of the most incredible things I've ever experienced.
Attachments
Cropped eclipse.jpg
Cropped eclipse.jpg (200.81 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
Tnsharpshooter

Post by Tnsharpshooter »

Nice photo.
Give some of those to your kids.
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

STUNNING photo! Look at the normal/natural solar flares/(fires).
Tnsharpshooter

Post by Tnsharpshooter »

Video done by person in Illinois. 3 minutes 22 seconds long..
With some weather data associated with total eclipse.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oPbSQQEO5ww

Unfortunately the sharpshooter will be gone by this time. The year 2186.

What is the longest a solar eclipse has ever lasted?
The longest known totality was 7 minutes and 28 seconds in 743 B.C. However, NASA says this record will be broken in 2186 with a 7 minute, 29 second total solar eclipse. The next total solar eclipse visible from parts of the U.S. won't happen until Aug. 23, 2044.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_e ... t%20occurs.

Notice it says it seems longest possible total eclipse time 7 minutes 32 seconds.
NotNewGuy

Post by NotNewGuy »

Awesome photo!!
SeaBeeRon on the Beach
wildwally1
Site Admin

Post by wildwally1 »

I was going to watch the eclipse in Sulfur Springs, Texas (staying at a hotel in Canton Texas) but instead went to Norwalk, Ohio due to weather concerns in Texas. If you have never seen a TOTAL eclipse, it is something to see. I watched the August 21, 2017 eclipse from Sweetwater Tennessee. I'll have one at my house on August 12, 2045 in the Tampa Bay Florida area. I hope I make it that long!
PulltabKing

Post by PulltabKing »

My hunting buddy and I were originally planning visiting our friend that lives in Sulphur Springs. We are both amateur photographers and wanted the longest duration of totality, taking as many photos possible adjusting ISO, f-stop and shutter speed in between shots. I've never shot an eclipse before and was mortified I'd end up overexposing all the shots. This is my only chance unless I want to travel or hope I'll still be here in 2045. 😁

We started paying attention to the weather and Sulphur Springs had a higher chance of cloudiness than Fort Worth. We decided to stay home and setup in his backyard even though we only had 1:17 of totality at his house.

It ended up being cloudy for probably 75% of the time, starting at first contact. Ten minutes or so before totality, the low clouds began to slowly dissipate... probably because of the sharp temperature drop. It was very humid that day and before first contact, the sun was rapidly heating the atmosphere.

I'm extremely grateful we managed to get a short break in the clouds that day. I'll never forget that experience, even though it was short. If I get a chance to do this again, I'll be spending my detector funds on an 800mm or 1000mm lens. 300mm is all I had this time. It worked great, but could have been better.

I know this is a metal detecting forum and not a photography forum. If you've never watched Smarter Everyday on YouTube, I highly recommend this 8 minute video. He was able to capture the ISS zipping across the eclipse which I think is amazing!

https://youtu.be/lepQoU4oek4?si=RfCF_eccIMpk4_TN