Manticore + M15 cuts out after 6.5 hrs!

This is an open discussion forum about metal detecting. Please be generally polite and respectful. Please note that Dankowski Detectors now has Terms of Use provisions. Nothing has really changed, its just now everything is written down for the sake of those who in the past liked to argue. If anybody sees anything unreasonable or disagreeable in the Terms of Use, please let me know.
StuWW

Manticore + M15 cuts out after 6.5 hrs!

Post by StuWW »

Hi Folks, first post in this group but have been an avid follower for some time, especially on all things Manticore related.

I've had my Manticore for a year and love it, my finds rate here in the UK has gone up noticeably from my Nox 800 which in itself was a great machine. The machine is true to it's marketing hype, it really allows you to go back over heavily detected sites and find even more targets!

A month ago I treated myself to the M15 coil and detecting mostly on pasture here in the UK it has been great, giving extra depth and covering ground quicker. I've also had targets from areas that I have gridded with the M11, so no complaints here, well except one!!

I can only get 6.5 hrs use before the detector runs out of juice and have to prematurely call it a day! I only use ATG and no haptics or torch, the screens backlight is on low. Is the M15 draining the battery faster than the M11, or is my battery giving up the ghost? Surely 6.5hrs use can't be right, the manual states approximately 10 hrs as long as you don't use ATHC or have all the bells and whistles turned on.

I'd appreciate the groups thoughts and I'm fully aware that power packs are available, but I can't beleive that a high end bit of kit has been designed to only run for 6.5 hrs!

Thanks
NASA-Tom

Re: Manticore + M15 cuts out after 6.5 hrs!

Post by NASA-Tom »

Stu.......

First. The Manticore is a exceptionally high-powered unit.......with the side-effect: Eats a lot of battery power.
Second. BUT...... it sounds like (your incurred 6.5-hours) your battery life/length/expectancy ....... is a bit low.
Third. Coil size does not necessarily correlate to higher battery drain. The only caveat is that: a larger coil SEES more dirt...... and SEES more targets . , . , . , . , which may generate more audio reports; subsequently, a bit more battery drain.
For testing/troubleshooting purposes = you could reinstall the stock/standard 11" coil....... and see if battery life-expectancy goe up.
For a bench/base-reference...... my Manticore acquires 7.5-hours battery life whilst in All Terrain - Low Conductors. This is = Full Charge..... to Unit Shutdown (dead battery).
StuWW

Post by StuWW »

Thanks Tom I appreciate the reply and I will do some testing. Just to confirm you get 7.5hrs with the M11, not the M15 ?
NASA-Tom wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:44 pm Stu.......

For a bench/base-reference...... my Manticore acquires 7.5-hours battery life whilst in All Terrain - Low Conductors. This is = Full Charge..... to Unit Shutdown (dead battery).
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

That is correct = With 11" coil.