Thoughts on the MC software update?

This is an open discussion forum about metal detecting. Please be generally polite and respectful. Please note that Dankowski Detectors now has Terms of Use provisions. Nothing has really changed, its just now everything is written down for the sake of those who in the past liked to argue. If anybody sees anything unreasonable or disagreeable in the Terms of Use, please let me know.
steveg

Thoughts on the MC software update?

Post by steveg »

Hi all...

I've been VERY slowly (too slowly, unfortunately, due to lack of hours on the machine) getting used to the MC, and have begun to enter the very initial stages of "turning the corner," in terms of understanding the machine, using very tame/basic/non-aggressive settings. LOTS more to learn...

With that said, I have refrained from doing the software update, as I wanted to get a feel for the machine in its "native" state, FIRST, before making any sorts of changes. With that said, I'm at a point now where it's at least worth thinking about possibly upgrading. Along those lines, I wanted to get some thoughts from anyone who has opinions on it. Early on, right after the upgrade was announced, a few early adopters were not sure it "helped" them, and maybe even "hurt" a bit, on some targets in some types of dirt. BUT -- some of that may have simply been getting used to how to set things up optimally, with the new software.

So, does anyone have any thoughts after getting used to the new update, as to whether I should say where I am for awhile, or move to the new software? I realize this is a broad question, with too many variables inherent (my dirt, my style of hunting, etc.), but I was just hoping to start a discussion on some general thoughts/perspectives on what some of you think of the new software now that there's been time to "get used to it."

Steve
Last edited by steveg on Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daryl wi

Re: Thoughts on the MC softwarre update?

Post by Daryl wi »

I bought the manti a year ago, and have not updated either. I'm having good success with finding the deep old coins, not sure if I will update.
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

(((As to be expected)))....... I have the latest update in Manticore. With hair-splitting accuracy...... I have verified zero loss in performance. Simply: A few more tools available to employ...... should the need arise.
Airtemisa

Post by Airtemisa »

Great news, Tom.

When you think will be available for everyone?

Thanks!
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

Airtemisa........ What Steve & I are referring to is....... the update that came out many months ago! It is already available...... and on the Minelab website.
steveg

Post by steveg »

NASA-Tom wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:27 am (((As to be expected)))....... I have the latest update in Manticore. With hair-splitting accuracy...... I have verified zero loss in performance. Simply: A few more tools available to employ...... should the need arise.
i appreciate that information. Sort of confirms the thoughts I've had that maybe it's time to update to the newest build...

Thanks!

Steve
steveg

Post by steveg »

Daryl wi wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:30 am I bought the manti a year ago, and have not updated either. I'm having good success with finding the deep old coins, not sure if I will update.
I know at least a few folks still using the original software, you and I included. I have been unsure as well, but thinking I may give it a go. And what NASA-Tom says, is helpful. In other words, it sounds like you can still run it in "original mode," essentially, by simply not employing any of the new features (silencer, for instance).

And that being the case, it's hard to argue that updating would be a BAD idea...

Steve
Daryl wi

Re: Thoughts on the MC software update?

Post by Daryl wi »

A few weeks ago I updated the Manticore and headphones. The new update handles iron better . And I like the red numbers. I have not noticed any loss of depth. I pulled a '30 wheat 10" deep, measured, with the 12 x 15. My deepest wheat up to that point was 9.25" with the 11 coil.
Now if my ears were younger than retirement age, I could probably go deeper.! My soil is black sandier soil, ground balancing at 2 or 3. Enjoyable detector to use.
NASA-Tom

Post by NASA-Tom »

It means a lot to me when folks document......whether the new software update HELPED ......or...... HURT.
Larry65

Post by Larry65 »

500.00 off on manticore. 1199.00 On sale sale ends 5-6-24